Friday, July 9, 2010

Listen to That Inner Voice

I recently finished a large curriculum project and find myself so excited about the possibilities of it all that I had to blog. As many know, I have been working on getting the curriculum for my Personal Performance Academy from my head down onto paper and into manual form, which has not been an easy task to say the least. As is the case with many of my readers, a true educator, one who is immersed and passionate about knowledge, may often work off of inspiration. For me, this completely dictates how I teach. I do not know how to teach without listening to that inner voice that guides me in ways that are mysterious and wonderful. Some call this God, their higher power, intuition, or that "I just feel it" sensation. Whatever you believe it to be, educator's of the world...LISTEN to it! I truly believe that when an educator is aware of this guiding voice, the results are so much more intense and powerful for the students individually and collectively. It provides those life altering moments that we desperately desire from our teaching. Nine times out of ten we even we astonish ourselves with the outcome.
Every educator wants to feel like they have made a difference, yet so few actually DO something to provide themselves and the student with that experience.
I facilitate learning to provide "Ah-ha" moments for my students. The audience for my program is primarily high school students who usually, well...know everything. So, to provide opportunities for each of them to experience "Ah-ha" moments, let alone creating an entire program and manual filled with these moments has been one of the biggest challenges of my career. Better yet, how do I teach traditionally educated school teachers, who have been trained in traditional teaching methods and reponses, to look for these opportunities in every moment that they have with a student?
As I created the first unit of the PPA I realized that I did not have one single concept, principle, activity, presentation or video clip that did not have a strong purpose. Each and every thing that I did, right down to the wordfind puzzle that I created had a purpose. Then, every "Ah-ha" moment in the units built upon previous ones. It was amazing to see students do homework, not because it was busy work, but because they wondered what I was going to teach them from it, what were we going to do next with it? How exciting it was to watch my students grow and develop in this way! So just like the football player who kneels down in the in-zone after a touchdown (in schools where they are still allowed to do so), I know who I have to give the credit to!
I can do nothing without my higher power when it comes to teaching, and I truly believe that the "great" educators of the world feel the same way. That you feel the same way! Heaven knows that I am not always sure how to help each student, but when I listen to that still, small voice in my heart and my head, I no longer to worry. As long as I am a tool, an instrument in doing "much good unto this people" then I have fulfilled one of my many purposes for becoming an educator.
So, do not be afraid to step outside of that box and be great, it is how you serve your student's! Your playing less does not serve anyone remember...so do great things this week, listen to the voice inside you, and become an inpiration for those you teach. It is the only way I know how to do this! Rebel 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for contributing your thoughts!